How to Address Seventh-day Adventist Elder | Minister | Pastor

How to Address Seventh-day Adventist Elder / Minister / Pastor / Elder?

Even if your SDA pastor has a doctorate, ‘Dr. (Name)’ is not part of the traditional form of address for SDA ministers holding a doctorate.

The spokesperson for the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists in Silver Spring, Maryland says ‘Elder’ is the preferred honorific in the U.S.A.

—-In writing, envelope:
—-—-Elder (Full Name)

—-—-Dear Elder (Surname),

—-—-Elder (Surname)

Outside the U.S.A., ‘Pastor (Name)’ is frequently used.

—-– Robert Hickey How to Address Seventh-day Adventist Elder How to Address Seventh-day Adventist Elder

See also more information on use of Pastor.

Robert Hickey author of "Honor & Respect"

When Should You Use the Forms on this Page?

You can use these forms of address for any mode of communication: addressing a letter, invitation, card or Email. (If there are differences between the official and social forms of address, I will have mentioned the different forms.)  The form noted in the salutation is the same form you say when you say their name in conversation or when you greet them.

Not Finding Your Answer?

—-#1)  At right on desktops, at the bottom of every page on tablets and phones, is a list of all the offices, officials & topics covered on the site.

—-#2)  If you don’t see the official you seek included or your question answered send me an e-mail. I am pretty fast at sending a reply: usually the next day or so (unless I am traveling.)  Note: I don’t have mailing or Email addresses for any of the officials and I don’t keep track of offices that exist only in history books.

—-#3)  If I think your question is of interest to others, Sometimes I post the question  – but always change all the specifics.

— Robert Hickey 

Robert Hickey author of "Honor & Respect"