Retired or Former U.S. Ambassador

How to Address a Retired or Former US Ambassador?

How to address a retired or former US ambassador?  He was a member of the U.S. Foreign Service so he was a diplomat for a long time before he was an ambassador.
—-—-—-– Carol Bentley

How do I address someone who served as an American Ambassador?  He was a close personal friend of The President and served for four years.
—-—-—-– Keith Inge

Dear Ms. Bentley & Mr. Inge:
Address any retired or former ambassador in writing – in the address block of a letter or envelope – in the standard style for U.S. officials addressed as the Honorable‘:

—-Official envelope:
—-—-The Honorable (Full Name)

—-In the salutation or conversation use:
—-—-Dear Ambassador (Surname),

The difference between ambassadors will arise when you introduce them, describe them, give their title, or identify them in writing (like in a program).

How to identify a former Ambassador: a political appointee who served as an Ambassador?

Those appointed to serve as a U.S. ambassador after a career in another field (typically they serve just only for administration, more or less) are introduced as:
—-—-Ambassador of the United States of America to (Name of Country) from Year to Year

Or (though I think it best to avoid the first option since it includes the word ‘former’):
—-—-Former Ambassador of the United States to (Name of Country)
—-Ambassador of the United States to (Name of Country) from year-year

Who can be identified as a ‘Career Ambassador, Retired’?

Certain retired diplomats are identified as a ‘Career Ambassador’. They have been accorded the ‘Personal Rank of Career Ambassador’ by the President. If you do a web search for ‘career-ambassador U.S. Department of State’ you find the list. There aren’t many. This small category of ambassadors is introduced or identified as:
—-Career Ambassador of the Foreign Service of the United States of America, Retired

Who can be identified as an ‘Ambassador, Retired’?

Career U.S. Foreign Service Officers who have served as a U.S. Ambassador at one or more U.S. embassies are introduced or identified as
—-Ambassador of the United States of America, Retired

– Robert Hickey     How to Address a Retired or Former US Ambassador

—–Forms of Address for Ambassadors:
—–—–U.S. Ambassador by a U.S. Citizen
—–—–U.S. Career Ambassador Retired
—–—–U.S. Ambassador, Retired Foreign Service
—–—–U.S. Ambassador, former, political appointee
—–—–U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom
—–—–Goodwill Ambassador
—–—–Foreign Ambassador
—–Related Diplomats:—Attaché
—–—–Chargé d’Affaires
—–—–Consul General
—–—–Consul Honorary
—–—–Deputy Chief of Mission
—–—–First Secretary
—–—–Second Secretary
—–—–Third Secretary


For a U.S. Ambassador: Your Excellency? or The Honorable?

I see some ambassador’s names written as ‘the Honorable (Full Name)’ and others as ‘His Excellency (Full Name)’. Which is correct?  The ambassador who is coming is the Belgian Ambassador. How should I write his name?
—-—-—-—-~ The Diva of Diplomats

Dear Diva:

—-#1) An ambassador of the United States is addressed by U.S. citizens as:

——–Official envelope:
——–The Honorable (Full Name)
——–—-The Ambassador of the United States of America

—–The Honorable (Full Name)’ – is how U.S. citizens formally address their own high government officials.

—-#2) A foreign ambassador is addressed as:

——–Official envelope:
——–—-His/Her Excellency (Full Name)
——–—-The Ambassador of (Official Name of Country)

——–Which looks like:
——–His Excellency Dirk Wouters
——–—-The Ambassador of the Kingdom of Belgium

Formula #2 is standard around the world for addressing ambassadors. U.S. ambassadors (who are addressed as ‘the Honorable’ by U.S. citizens) are addressed as ‘His/Her/Your Excellency’ by citizens of other countries when they serve abroad.

If this sort of question comes up often, my book has more on the topic.

– Robert Hickey

Forms of Address: How a conversation begins can have a huge impact on how the conversation - even the entire relationship - develops.

How to Address Current Ambassadors At-Post (In the Country where They Serve) vs. Back Home (In the U.S.A.)?

We are wondering about use of Your Excellency with Ambassadors (of one country and accredited to another country).

#1) Would you address the US Ambassador (accredited in U.K.)  as ‘Your Excellency’ or ‘the Honorable’ when he is in to U.K.?

#2) Would you address UK Ambassador (accredited in USA) with ‘Your Excellency’ when in the U.K.?
————– Tina

Dear Tina,

—-#1) Foreign ambassadors
—-—-In the U.S. we follow the international practice of addressing accredited current foreign ambassadors in writing as ‘His Excellency (Full Name),’  and orally as’  ‘Your Excellency’, ‘Ambassador‘, or ‘Ambassador Jones’ .

—-#2) U.S. ambassadors
—-—-U.S. citizens  address U.S. ambassadors in writing as ‘the Honorable (Full Name)’.  We address them in a salutation or oral conversation as ‘Mr. Ambassador’ or ‘Ambassador Smith’.

Your questions:

 “Would you address the US Ambassador (accredited in U.K.)  as ‘Your Excellency’ or ‘the Honorable’ when he is in to U.K.?”

A U.S. citizen should address a U.S. Ambassador in writing as ‘the Honorable Henry Smith‘ or address orally as ‘Mr. Ambassador’ or ‘Ambassador Smith’  Don’t use the British spelling of  ‘Honourable’ just because you are in the UK.  Write a name is the way one sees it at home … ‘the Honorable’

 “Would you address UK Ambassador (accredited in USA) with ‘Your Excellency’ when in the U.K.?

As a U.S. citizen address a UK ambassador as ‘His Excellency John Jones’,  ‘Your Excellency’ or ‘Ambassador Jones’.

– Robert Hickey

How a Should Non-U.S. Citizen Address an Current American Ambassador?

I am writing an invitation letter to the ambassador of the United States to Japan. According to your book the ambassador should be addressed by U.S. citizens as ‘the Honorable (Full Name)’.  But I am a Japanese citizen.  I will be writing to him in care of the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

Should I address him as ‘the Honorable (Full Name)’ as the U.S. citizens do?  Or should I address him as ‘His Excellency (Full Name)’?

– T. Suzuki


Dear T. Suzuki:

Addressing as ‘the Honorable (Full Name)’ would be honoring his U.S. tradition. It is how a U.S. citizen would address him – and how he would expect to be addressed in the USA. It is not wrong for you to use it.

Using ‘His/Her Excellency (Full Name)’ follows the international diplomatic custom.  This is how he would expect to be addressed outside the USA by foreign citizens.

Both are correct.  I suggest you use ‘Excellency’ since you are in Japan and are a Japanese citizen.

– Robert Hickey           How to Address a Retired or Former US Ambassador

Not Finding Your Question Answered?

—-#1)  At right on desktops, at the bottom of every page on tablets and phones, is a list of all the offices, officials & topics covered on the site.

—-#2)  After checking the list and reading the posts, if you don’t see your question answered send me an e-mail. I am pretty fast at sending a reply: usually the next day or so (unless I am traveling.)  Note: I don’t have mailing or Email addresses for any of the officials and I don’t keep track of offices that exist only in history books.

—-#3)  If I think your question is of interest to others, I will post the question & answer – always changing the names and specifics.

— Robert Hickey

The Protocol School of Washington (PSOW) was founded in 1988 and offers open-enrollment, classroom-based programs where students learn to become a licensed Intercultural Etiquette and Protocol Trainer, or can earn a certificate in operational protocol by completing Protocol Officer Training. Private, on-site training is also available to provide tailored training solutions. In 2020, PSOW launched online, instructor-led training to meet the needs of students worldwide.

PSOW has offices in: Washington, DC; Columbia, SC; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The school is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) and provides international protocol, cross-cultural awareness, business etiquette, and image training preparing professionals to build lasting business relationships.


Protocol and Diplomacy International – Protocol Officers Association promotes the protocol profession and raises awareness of its central role in business and diplomacy through education and networking. PDI-POA’s mission is to share the highest level of collective expertise, training, information and advice regarding accepted rules of protocol. PDI-POA is committed to facilitating communication, understanding and cooperation among individuals, governments and cultures around the globe.